Location: San Francisco, CA/Hybrid/Remote | Role: Project Manager of Execution | Department: Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) | Reports to: Jim Craig
Brightmark tackles the planet’s most pressing environmental challenges with imagination, optimism, and activity that is making real progress toward a cleaner future. We do this by taking a holistic, closed loop, circular economy approach that has actual results. Driven by equal parts urgency and optimism, we Reimagine Waste. We deploy circular waste solutions, focused on plastics renewal (circular plastics) and anaerobic digestion (renewable natural gas), that disrupt the status quo and make actual change happen. Our programs are tailored as scalable project solutions that meet specific environmental needs around the world and in communities where people live and work.
Join us as we build toward a more livable future without waste!
We are seeking a Project Manager of Execution to join the Renewable Natural Gas (RNG) Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) team. The candidate is expected to lead all aspects of the EPC projects from the development transition to the EPC phase, startup/commissioning, and closeout of greenfield commercial scale renewable natural gas (RNG) projects integrating anaerobic digestion (AD) and gas upgrading equipment valued in the $25 to $100 million range. The ideal candidate will have specific boots on the ground experience managing and completing at least two projects in various regions across the United States. We are interested in an individual that has recent RNG, power plant, Oil and Gas, or chemical plant project related experience. The appropriate candidate will be expected to configure and integrate market leading equipment suppliers, consistent with corporate strategy, including feedstock material handling, de-gritting equipment, digesters (with supporting pumps, heating and stirring systems), digestate processing in preparation for nutrient sales, fuel (gas) upgrade systems and compressor stations to generate pipeline quality RNG. Preference will be given to candidates who have design, construction management and contracting experience and who are familiar with various feedstocks including manure, protein plant waste, and food waste as the primary fuel source as well as processing low BTU gas into pipeline quality gas from municipal waste plants or landfills. The candidate will work closely with the business development team in proposing and structuring waste and energy transactions and carry the projects through to handoff to O&M/Asset Management.
- Responsible for the overall execution optimization and delivery of complex RNG projects.
- Accountable for overall project delivery beginning when they are first assigned during the late development stages of a projects, through final hand off to the Operations and Maintenance team.
- Provides overall project LEADERSHIP.
- Challenge business and project assumptions at the appropriate time to ensure that the most effective plan is in place.
- Develop and own overall Project Execution Plan and update regularly as project develops.
- Interface with the Project Manager of Development and ensure the projects are set up for success after full funding is obtained.
- Accountable for safe start-up and commissioning of the project and ensuring things are done right the first time.
- Developing EPC contracting strategies and work closely with the Project Manager of Development and Procurement Manager to ensure timely initiating of key contracting activities.
- Determining key stakeholders and keeping them informed throughout the project.
- Develop and monitor leading measurement indicators, Goals and Objectives for the overall project.
- Take responsibility for ensuring that conceptual design and proposal technical documents are provided to meet the timescales and quality standards required.
- Promote business activity by coordinating, developing, and presenting concepts and preliminary technical findings, at various stages of the project development process, whether in written form or in oral presentation format
- Work with outside engineering to translate conceptual designs into detailed design basis memoranda that meet the functional and contractual project requirements.
- Work with procurement management to provide technical input into the request for quote (RFQ) package and provide technical analysis of vendor quotes.
- Negotiate and manage large equipment supply contracts and O&M service transactions for RNG technology providers, with experience implementing liquidated damages, warranties, performance guarantees, and other instruments that protect the project budget and schedule.
- Understand general construction contract arrangements (lump sum, cost plus, guaranteed maximum price, etc.) and how to implement to best mitigate risk for project execution.
- Effectively manage multiple contractors, vendors and consultants and be able to report project construction status in an efficient and timely manner to management.
- Monitor progress toward expected outcomes.
- Produce regular reports (weekly and monthly) to keep senior leadership and other key stakeholders informed of project progress, accomplishments, and issues and concerns.
- Produce procurement technical packages to enable successful design, construction, commissioning, operation, and servicing of RNG projects.
- Act as owner’s primary contact overseeing all aspects of the contracting of engineering procurement and construction of RNG projects across the country.
- Approximately 25-50% travel to customer locations for meetings/presentations.
Success Criteria (what success will look like in this role):
- Strong analytical and modeling (financial and technical) skills for energy projects, specifically for RNG and CHP systems.
- Ability to represent the company in a professional manner.
- Strong leadership and strategic negotiations skills with an ability to balance and prioritize competing interests.
- Out of the box thinker able to drive continued project value by reducing project costs or enhancing project revenues.
Experience & Professional Qualifications:
- University degree in chemical, civil, mechanical, or electrical engineering or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience in plant construction, wastewater experience a plus with 5+ years in the anaerobic digester sector
- PMP, CCM, MBA, or PE or similar project management oriented professional qualifications
- Energetic and aggressive in pursuing opportunities
- Results-oriented with the ability to work independently in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Knowledge of legislative and regulatory issues affecting AD energy project development including RIN and LCFS markets
- Strong desire to advance waste and energy solutions that bring global benefit.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans.
- 401K plan with 100% match of the first 2% contributed.
- Paid parental leave.
- Commuter benefits and flexible work arrangements.
- Monthly tech stipend.
- Generous paid time off.
Please apply at Paylocity.