Location: San Francisco, CA/Hybrid
We are seeking a Project Manager to lead all aspects of engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) projects from the development transition to the EPC phase, startup/commissioning, and closeout of greenfield commercial-scale renewable natural gas (RNG) projects integrating anaerobic digestion (AD) and gas upgrading equipment valued in the $25 to $100 million range. The ideal candidate will have specific boots-on-the-ground experience managing and completing at least two projects in various regions across the United States. In particular, we are interested in an individual that has recent RNG, power plant, Oil and Gas, or chemical plant project-related experience. The appropriate candidate will be expected to configure and integrate market-leading equipment suppliers, consistent with corporate strategy, including feedstock material handling, de-gritting equipment, digesters (with supporting pumps, heating, and stirring systems), digestate processing in preparation for nutrient sales, fuel (gas) upgrade systems and compressor stations to generate pipeline-quality RNG. Preference will be given to candidates who have design, construction management, and contracting experience and who are familiar with various feedstocks including manure, protein plant waste, and food waste as the primary fuel source as well as processing low BTU gas into pipeline quality gas from municipal waste plants or landfills. The candidate will work closely with the business development team in proposing and structuring waste and energy transactions and carry the projects through to handoff to O&M/Asset Management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the overall execution optimization and delivery of complex RNG projects.
- Accountable for overall project delivery beginning when they are first assigned during the late development stages of a project, through final hand-off to the Operations and Maintenance team.
- Provides overall project LEADERSHIP.
- Challenge business and project assumptions at the appropriate time to ensure that the most effective plan is in place.
- Develop and own overall Project Execution Plan, and update regularly as the project develops.
- Interface with the Project Manager of Development and ensure the projects are set up for success after full funding is obtained.
- Accountable for safe start-up and commissioning of the project and ensuring things are done right the first time.
- Developing EPC contracting strategies and working closely with the Project Manager of Development and Procurement Manager to ensure timely initiating of key contracting activities.
- Determining key stakeholders and keeping them informed throughout the project.
- Develop and monitor leading measurement indicators, Goals, and Objectives for the overall project.
- Take responsibility for ensuring that conceptual design and proposal technical documents are provided to meet the timescales and quality standards required
- Promote business activity by coordinating, developing, and presenting concepts and preliminary technical findings, at various stages of the project development process, whether in written form or in oral presentation format
- Work with outside engineering to translate conceptual designs into detailed design basis memoranda that meet the functional and contractual project requirements
- Work with procurement management to provide technical input into the request for quote (RFQ) package and provide technical analysis of vendor quotes
- Negotiate and manage large equipment supply contracts and O&M service transactions for RNG technology providers, with experience implementing liquidated damages, warranties, performance guarantees, and other instruments that protect the project budget and schedule.
- Understand general construction contract arrangements (lump sum, cost plus, guaranteed maximum price, etc.) and how to implement to best mitigate risk for project execution.
- Effectively manage multiple contractors, vendors, and consultants and be able to report project construction status in an efficient and timely manner to management.
- Monitor progress toward expected outcomes.
- Produce regular reports (weekly and monthly) to keep senior leadership and other key stakeholders informed of project progress, accomplishments, and issues and concerns.
- Produce procurement technical packages to enable successful design, construction, commissioning, operation, and servicing of RNG projects.
- Act as owner’s primary contact overseeing all aspects of the contracting of engineering procurement and construction of RNG projects across the country.
- Approximately 25-50% travel to customer locations for meetings/presentations.
Experience & Education
- University degree in chemical, civil, mechanical, or electrical engineering or equivalent experience,
- 10+ years of experience in plant construction, wastewater experience a plus with 5+ years in the anaerobic digester sector
- PMP, CCM, MBA, or PE or similar project management-oriented professional qualifications
- Energetic and aggressive in pursuing opportunities
- Results-oriented with the ability to work independently in an entrepreneurial environment
- Knowledge of legislative and regulatory issues affecting AD energy project development including RIN and LCFS markets
- Strong desire to advance waste and energy solutions that bring global benefit
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge Project Management and Construction Management Processes, PMP or CCM desirable;
- Knowledge of engineering and construction practices in new greenfield RNG projects obtained through demonstrated experience;
- Understanding of energy markets (electricity and natural gas), legislative and regulatory issues affecting RNG energy project development including RIN and LCFS markets;
- Demonstrated ability to manage and interface effectively with cross-functional employee groups of all levels and competencies;
- Ability to perform and interpret financial analysis and provide appropriate data and information;
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills;
- Effective at creating, summarizing, and presenting information logically for executive decision making;
- Knowledge of finance and business concepts;
- Fluency in Salesforce is a plus.
- Strong analytical and modeling (financial and technical) skills for energy projects, specifically for RNG and CHP systems;
- Ability to represent the company in a professional manner;
- Strong leadership and strategic negotiations skills with an ability to balance and prioritize competing interests;
- Out of the box thinker able to drive continued project value by reducing project costs or enhancing project revenues;
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter with a burning desire to learn and win;
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org